Gastrointestinal and General Surgical Inpatient Unit
Gastrointestinal and General Surgical Unit, Pre and post-operative nursing care of elective general surgical patients with a predicted length of stay greater than 24hrs.
- Provision of ongoing care for serious injuries and surgical emergencies admitted via the Accident and Emergency Department and Intensive Care.
- Provision of High Acuity Nursing care in absence of beds in the ICU/High Dependency Unit.
- Management of Gastroenterology patients.The prime function of GI/GE Digestive Health inpatient unit is to provide quality-nursing.
Care to both long and short stay pre and post-operative patients who fit into the following criteria:
- Colorectal surgical and conditions
- General surgery
- Hepatobiliary patients
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery
- Trauma surgery and injuries
- Liver patients
- IBD patients.
The inpatient unit has 28 beds, 4x 2 bed rooms, 22x single rooms, (1x bariatric capacity). Communal staff rooms eg: Clean utility, dirty utility are located centrally with patient rooms bordering the unit.