We partner with the Department of Energy and Water Supply and agencies to respond to public health risks arising from water quality (potable and recycled) and fluoridation.
Our community sources most of its household drinking water from reticulated systems, but residents often have a rainwater tank or bore, or dual reticulated system. Some in our community rely on non-reticulated water as their only source of potable water.
Many factors contribute to contaminated water including bacteria, chemical, bushfire, cyclone or flooding.
What we do
- Investigate waterborne diseases including Legionella and Cryptosporidium
- Conduct water related public health risk assessments and provide expert advice on water quality and safety
- Conduct public health risk assessments and provide expert advice on water quality and safety
- Advise public hospitals on Legionella control strategies
- Conduct audits of water treatment plant fluoridation facilities
- Manage compliance with the Public Health Act 2005 and Water Fluoridation Act 2008.