Jingeri! ‘Welcome’ in Yugambeh Aboriginal Language
Our team provides a range of care, programs and cultural support services specifically targeted to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members and visitors accessing the Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service (GCHHS). We work closely with our Gold Coast Health colleagues in providing culturally safe services, clinics, promotion and education activities.
Within the Hospital
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Hospital liaison service within Gold Coast University Hospital and Robina Hospital.
This service provides; hospital ward visits; advocacy; a cultural link between our clients, their families and hospital staff and referrals to support services. Our service provides visits to inpatients during business hours. If you don’t receive a visit, please ask your ward staff to contact our service on (07) 5687 3049.
Within the community
Clinical and Support Services
- Coordination and Administration services
- Dietitian/nutritionist and outreach services to Kalwun Health Service
- Chronic Disease team including Mungulli clinics, heart health screening clinics, yarning circles and education. Programs are conducted at a range of locations on the Gold Coast
- Child health workers work collaboratively with Community Child Health Nurses
- Yan-Coorara Mental Health Team who work alongside treating teams in providing advocacy and cultural capable care for our consumers.
Accessing the community health teams
- Coordination and Administration please contact (07) 5525 5630
- Dietitian / Nutritionist please contact (07) 5525 5630
- Chronic Disease programs please contact 1300 668 936 and ask to speak to the Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Health workers
- Child Health Workers please contact (07) 5687 9183
- Yan-Coorara Mental health Team please contact (07) 5525 5718
- Alternatively your GP, Aboriginal Medical Service, friend or relative can refer you to our services. Friends and relatives must obtain your consent before contacting our services on your behalf.
Our service provides training to staff and community members.
- Cultural Practice Program (CPP) training for Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service staff
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid Training for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members.
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Service is a member of the Karulbo (means ‘All Together’ in Yugambeh Aboriginal Language) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Partnership, in close collaboration with Kalwun Health Service, Krurungal Welfare Service, the Elders Advisory Council along with a number of network partners within the Health, Education, Employment and other sectors across the Gold Coast.