We enforce legislation to minimise harm from misuse or inappropriate supply or access to medicines and poisons, as well as providing advice and issuing permits.
What we do
- Handle enquiries and investigate complaints or incidents regarding misuse and non-compliance of scheduled medicines and poisons
- Audit pharmacies, hospitals, drug wholesalers, poisons sellers and people with as-of-right authority to obtain, possess, sell and administer medicines and poisons
- Provide technical advice to people or groups on legislation to protect health safety from the misuse of medicines and poisons
- Issue permits under the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulations 1996 including strychnine and cyanide permits
- Implement local and state compliance plan activities for medicines and poisons.